Friday, March 21, 2014

All Knowledge (Love Song Part 5)

The roses formed a semi-circle in the back corner of the yard where the fence didn't join because my mom couldn't bear to cut down the trees. She'd planted the bushes to keep the neighbor kids out of her garden, but they didn't stop me from making my own garden beyond them of moss, stones, and cicada shells... and cat posies.

Today, the roses seemed to have another plan. Sometime between this morning and now, the thorned vines had crawled into a complete circle, and a great, snarled mass of them that I couldn't quite comprehend hid the entrance to the woodsy back trail.

I did understand one thing. "Don't you think you're making this a bit obvious?" I yelled into the whirlwind. "If you're trying to keep me from finding Mark and lock me into your spell, you're going about it the wrong way."

I cursed as I stepped over a thinner looking section and the roses gathered around my legs. Then I stiffened as I heard a moan that was as unnatural as the vines it had come from.

I stepped back into the circle, searching for the source of the noise, fighting my instinct to run. Mom's roses had always protected me from the scary noises of the forest--they were my gateway to safety. But running was silly now. I was effectively fenced in, and Jared's challenge was scarier than any strange noise.

Even if it did come from inside the mountainous, rosy tangle. I crept closer, peering into the shadows.

I put my hand over my mouth and screamed.

Eyes stared out at me. But they couldn't see me. Vines had sprouted thorns that dug deep into the irises and whites. The skin around them was streaked pale and red from the needles that pierced the forehead, cheeks, and lips. The horrible mound covered and engaged the entire length of his body.

The eyes that twinkled, the lips that kissed so sweetly, they were pierced by my mother's roses.

I bit down on my knuckles, trying to still the screams and shudders that overtook me. I yelled strangled words to convey the traitor Jared was, to use what wasn't his to win his battle. Then I dropped to my knees and began to pull at the snarl. The thorns shredded my skin--they didn't let off for any kindnesses Jared might have woven into his song. But I didn't care. All I knew was that I had to reach the center of this monstrosity.

For every vine I yanked back, another tightened around Mark, and finally, I paused as I watched another wave of thorns lance his skin. I leaned into the bush and let my fingers touch his forehead.

"How did this happen?" I whispered. I slid my fingertips to his cheek. I couldn't touch his eyes.

"Med," Mark groaned.

"I'm here," I said.

"The roses..."

"I know. I'm going to get help."

911 would bring medics, but they wouldn't bring help. They'd hack at the bushes and rush him to hospice and lace him with antiseptic and IVs... but they wouldn't be able to return his sight. I could call my dad and mom--both of whom were helping with the neighborhood celebration--but by deep instinct, I knew they would be drawn into the challenge if I included them. I couldn't let that happen, too. The only help I could think of was Jared.

Jared, who healed everything he touched.

Jared, who got everything he wanted.

Jared, who created this predicament.

And why would he want to heal Mark, his competition? I'd never seen my friend cause outright pain or destruction, but two years was a lot of time to change. Less than five minutes ago, he'd spoken about wars fought over mythological beauties as though their consequences didn't matter. That wasn't the Jared I knew.

He'd sung the song. He'd destroyed my parents' backyard. He'd killed--blinded--my boyfriend.

What I couldn't imagine was how he would think that I could ever, ever want to look at him again, when this was what he was capable of doing.

"I'm going to get help," I said again to Mark, pulling away. He didn't reply and I bit my lip as I stared at him, trying to tell if he was still breathing, willing him to keep trying. The eyes...

I stepped to the edge of the roses. I screamed as loudly as I could the name of the only help I could guarantee.

I needed Jared, but I also hated him.

___
Hi everyone! Thanks for being patient while I was out, and I hope you're enjoying the last dregs of winter, because despite the snow, Spring is on her way. :) This story is Part 5 out of 8. If you want links to the other sections, go here to last week's intermission where I posted them clear and easy. And if you want more fun flash fiction, I'm participating in Suzanne Warr's Flash Friday blog hop, so run over to her place and click on the links there. Enjoy! --Elm

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this was lovely! Well, not lovely, per se...but gorgeous and rich and compelling and vivid! I went back and caught up on the section I missed while down and out with the ice storm, and now I can't wait to see what the next segment will bring! It's great to have you back. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm so glad you liked it, thanks! Glad your ice storm didn't detain you long, but I saw your pics. They were beautiful and terrifying at once, I can't believe that tree hanging from the power lines like that...

      Delete