Friday, November 8, 2013

Innocent's Blessing

For most people in this part of the world, the sun was rising.  For me, it was setting.  It was my time to dance, with hands tightly tied.

Sweat ran down my grimy shirt, and my noosed neck itched from the lice I'd provided a home for in our comfortable cell.  I shook my head for relief.  The volume of the crowd grew... I'm certain they believed I was denying my thievery again, but at this point, I didn't care.

I shifted my shoulders.  Surely in my last moments of life I could think of something beyond bodily discomfort, but nothing came to mind.  Time in a cage had tamed me.  Born of dust, live with dust, return to dust.

The sun's rays lanced across the horizon.

The crowd roared.

The drums boomed.

The stool toppled.


And the lice leapt.

They sprayed off my body in a black shower as I fell into the crowd, the chewed rope dust.

I called out my gratitude as I rolled, wishing them the utmost happiness in their new homes.  Then I, too, crept, and maneuvered my way to freedom.

___
This piece is my sacrifice to NaNo, since it's kicking my butt this week.  I wrote this craft for a writing class sometime back, and I'm hoping the lice will come to my rescue.  In metaphorical terms.
NaNo progress is a whopping 750 words out of about 12K for week one, because the week has demanded SO many other things--like an Algebra class that will not die (the kids', aka mine), and an art deadline for the barn sale I'm scrambling to submit pieces to.  But I will catch up!  And if you cheer for me, I'll probably share :).  May your writing be flowing and free.

4 comments:

  1. I think if you want the lice to rescue you, first you have to give them a week or two of free lodging at your own personal bed and breakfast. :) Loved the piece! Made me really wish I could hear the rest the tale, especially where he went next and how he convinced the lice to help him. Fantastic stuff!

    Good luck Nanoing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's probably not the kind of solution I'm looking for... a bit high on the cost in terms of disgust, eh? All I want is a nice, honest, updated wordcount! But you know, miracles often happen in such unlikely ways, like, oh, typing fingers. Thanks for the luck :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pithy comments here: sunrise/sunset; dance/tied; dust/dust/dust. Very fun. Wishing you lots of time for NaNo. Just write girl. You can totally do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ginger! I totally appreciate that :).

    ReplyDelete